Friday, January 9, 2009

The importance of practise

Most religions have a (more or less clear) definition of what makes you a member of that religion. You have to be baptised to be a Christian, or initiated for some branches of Wicca etc.

For me, the important question is not whether somebody is officially recognized as a member of a religion or tradition or whatever. The important question is: Does it make a difference? Am I influenced by the ideas about Divinity, about the world, that are part of my religion, or is my life disconnected from my believes?

There are two areas where a connection can be recognized most easily. The first one is ethics: Are my choices, my decisions, influenced by the ethics of my religion? Or am I preaching one thing and doing the other? The most important prerequisite for this is theoretical knowledge about the ethics of my religion and awareness in those situations when I have to make decisions.

The second one is practise. A practising catholic goes to church on Sundays, fasts during lent, etc. What do I do as a practising Wiccan? That is what I want to explore during this year. Of course I will include the wheel of the year, but mostly, the idea is to get away from those “special” days and reach towards a daily practise that is not dependent on outer circumstances but furthers our contact with the Divine constantly.

No comments: